1. Muscle weighs more than fat. You start to lose 1/2 pound of muscle starting at the age range ?of 25-30. Your muscle starts to shrink and your female fat cells increase in size & number. If you gain enough weight, the fat cells increase in size and can actually get so full that they divide. Loss of muscle is called sarcopenia, which ?meaning death of the muscle. Your metabolism decreases because of this process.
2. Women often think cardio is the best way to lose fat and belly fat. Women who weight train lose more fat than women who just do cardio. When they just do cardio,they lose muscle and water not fat.
3. Be smarter. Women who weight train strengthen their body and minds. After about 6 months of training, you have enhanced your cognitive function. Research also shows increased short and long- term memory, improved reasoning and longer attention span.
4: Life span is increases and disease decreases, especially with cancers and cardiovascular disease. Cancers are 2/3 preventable and a lot of them are brought on by lifestyle choices.
5. Your clothes & favorite jeans will fit better.
6. Your heart is happier and healthier: Researchers at the University of Michigan found that people who did 3 total body workouts a week for two months decreased their diastolic blood pressure ( the bottom number) by an average of 8 points. That’s enough to reduce the risk of stroke by 40% and the chance of heart attack by 15%.
7: It helps build bone density. Osteoporosis is a bone thinning disease. As you age, your bone mass decreases. A study found that after 16 weeks of weight training it increases hip bone growth by 19%. Build muscle and bone density with a weight training program.
8: You will become a fat burner rather than a fat storer. Lifting weights increases the number of calories you burn while you sleep and work. I like to refer to this as building a residual income. ?After every workout you continue to burn calories and have an increased metabolism for the remaining of the day. This doesn’t occur with cardio. Just doing a circuit of 8 moves which takes about 8 minutes, can expend 159-231 calories. That’s about what you’d burn at a 10 mile-per-hour pace for the same duration.
9: You will decrease stress levels and depression.
10. Weight training is the fountain of youth. You will look & feel younger than ever before!
OC Fitness Mama
“Fit & fabulous @ 40 and beyond”!