Did you know that exercise and good nutrition is more important than you may think when it comes to helping to prevent breast cancer and ALL cancers?
Well it is and according to the American Cancer Society research has shown that eating a poor diet and being sedentary are two of the main factors that can increase a person’s risk for cancer. However, there is some good news here to help you prevent it from happening to you.
At OC Fitness Mama we consider our studio as an educational place where we help our female clients by sharing with them the importance of disease prevention. This month we are going to be talking to all of our clients about helping themselves to prevent all cancers, not just breast cancer but ALL cancers. The importance of living a healthy lifestyle is so important and it is easier than most women think. Below are some ways to help yourself prevent cancer…take them seriously and you are going to help yourself be at a lower risk for cancer. It is worth it!
- If you are overweight, get yourself on a program to help you lose 10% of your weight with-in a year. That is doable and something that is with-in all women’s reach. Hiring a trainer is one of the best ways to help yourself do this and be accountable to someone. Once you get to a healthy weight do your best to stay there and not yo-yo up and down. Being at a consistent weight is really important. By doing this you will decrease your risk of several cancers including: breast, anal, colon, kidney, pancreas and many more. Carrying too much weight is dangerous because of the excess body fat. The body then increases the release of estrogen and insulin in your blood stream and these hormones then circulate throughout your body and can cause the body to produce and stimulate cancer to grow in your body.
- If you smoke or vape: STOP!!! This is one of the most toxic things you can put to your body…If you are a smoker or you vape we encourage you to get the help you need to STOP this habit. It could and will help decrease the risk of cancer in your body.
- As we share with all of our OCFM clients: Get vertical! Stand more and sit less during the day, it is important to move more. Sitting is the new smoking and it is dangerous!!! See where you can help yourself at work with getting a stand up desk as well as getting up every hour to move and stretch.
- Be sure to increase your physical activity and include, strength training, cardiovascular exercise, stretching and stress releasing activities. Sitting, laying around, watching T.V., playing video games and having a lazy lifestyle could cost you big time. Get your exercise in daily, best to do at least 150-300 minutes of cardio weekly. Make appointments with yourself in your calendar and then stick to them like doctors’ appointments. Exercise will help control your weight and your hormones in your body. Remember also that a little goes a long way!
- Eat healthy, if you are unsure how to eat a healthy diet hire a nutritionist or trainer who is qualified to work with you on a healthy eating plan. This is so important to do when it comes to decreasing your risk for cancer. Eat more of a plant based/Mediterranean eating plan and that will really help you do also fill full and give you more energy.
- Watch your alcohol intake, take a look at the guidelines at the American Cancer Society. Women sometimes underestimate their intake of alcohol there is direct research to show that drinking too much increases your risk of cancers.
Share this information with the women you care about, it could help safe their live and yours too!
Fit & Fabulous at 40 and Beyond!
OC Fitness Mama